Monday 23 May 2011

LESSON FROM THE TAO



The Second Noble Truth.

"The second truth is that suffering is caused by craving and desire. We will suffer for example; if we do not get something we want, if we expect other people to conform to our expectations, etc, etc. In other words, getting what we want does not guarantee lasting happiness. Wanting can ultimately deprive us of contentment and happiness."

Last night I watched clouds scudding across the sky, pushed along by strong westerly winds. I felt frustrated that I hadn't been in for a surf that day and was unlikely to either as the wind was still blowing hard whilst the sun began to sink - no evening glass off for me then...

I try to take a philosophically relaxed attitude to surfing these days - the aim being to simply enjoy my moments in the sea wherever and whenever I can. I could quite easily become obsessed with wave-hunting etc, but would rather make the most of the life that surrounds me and not potentially let my desires turn to sorrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment